Saturday, December 15, 2018

Give & Receive



I have made a few Christmas posts as of recent due to those who may be feeling blue as a professional or resident. No matter what has been on my mind professionally or personally, I intentionally set aside time to volunteer or pay it forward during the week. Three years ago, I was consulting with a skilled nursing facility (SNF). I was on a care floor. I felt a tug on my suit jacket. It was the sweetest elderly woman in a wheelchair. She shared about not having living family or friends and how she missed having a gingerbread house. I decided to make her one, and the team members liked the idea. I asked the resident what she would like as part of the house. She wanted reindeer poop on the roof and yellow snow in the front lawn. The resident had passed a couple days before. I was not called since I was not family, DPOA or guardian. I understood. Thinking about the resident. I walked out of the SNF with the gingerbread house. I had an idea. My neighbor, who is in his mid-80's always gifts me See's Assorted Peppermints. I make him a gift, including a hat, bath salts and his favorite: "shea butter Christmas yellow snowflake soap." He was naughty that year! He will find joy and cheer with the gingerbread house.





No comments:

Post a Comment