Monday, January 19, 2015

Living the Dream "And the Walls Came Tumbling Down:" Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.and Dr. Ralph Abernathy

I originally wrote the below piece as a response to a theology school application: Theological Reflection: 12. Referring to at least one Theologian of Significance in your journey, reflect on the following: (1500 words, typed and double spaced) a) Select what you understand to be one of today’s most critical issues and reflect on it in terms of your own theological perspective.

Rev. Ralph Abernathy was Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s number two person in the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, holding the official title of Secretary-Treasurer. Dr. Abernathy helped organized the Montgomery Bus Boycott, among other civil rights struggles. He was also the Pastor of the First Baptist Church in Montgomery, Alabama.

Rev. Abernathy said, “I'm sick and tired of black and white people of good intent giving aspirin to a society that is dying of a cancerous disease.”  I believe in many ways, people in the United States continue to give aspirin to our race issues.

The race issue became personal to me in the early 1980’s and continues to serve as a lens through which I view the world.

During my undergraduate years at Purdue, I directed a number of readers, interpreters and chamber theater productions.  In one production I met Tim, an AfricanAmerican student, who was an intelligent, beautifully spirited man.  One evening after rehearsal I offered to drive him home as the buses had stopped running at that hour.  On the way home he requested we stop by the drugstore.  I needed a few items too so I
readily agreed.  I was standing in front of Tim in line.  After I completed my transaction, I was stunned to hear the clerk insist on and then subsequently begin the process of searching Tim’s pockets before permitting him to checkout.  Although he must have been experiencing a sense of humiliation, Tim withstood this event and proceeded to checkout. I asked him to go out to the car to warm it up, informing him I needed to return a few items. 

I approached the clerk to address what had been an incredibly offensive experience.  The clerk tried to quell my reaction, insisting I go to the end of the line.  This was the first chance as an adult I had to address the face of explicit racism.  As a child many times I overheard racist phrases and terminology being used.  While I often cringed, in reality, there was little I could do.  In this moment, I had the opportunity to give voice to the inequity I had witnessed but had little power to change up till now.  A commotion ensued, prompting the manager to approach the counter.  He began asking the clerk to clarify the situation.  As the true nature of the circumstances became apparent, the manager apologized to me, stating the clerk was not following company policy and that he did not approve of this behavior.  I insisted on returning the items on principle and did not return to that store.

I was again reminded of Rev. Abernathy’s statement when I saw the movie, Crash.  Graham, one of the characters in the movie, made the following statement in the opening dialogue: “It's the sense of touch.  In any real city, you walk, you know?  You brush past people, people bump into you.  In L.A., nobody touches you. We're always behind this metal and glass.  I think we miss that touch so much, that we crash into each
other, just so we can feel something.”

Initially I did not understand these words.  It’s like at the end of a movie that makes you cry; you’re sad that it’s over, but you’re glad you had that moment that moved you deep inside. I was overwhelmed with emotions: anger, disgust, and most particularly, sadness. I pondered my visceral reaction to the movie and its lingering effects on me.  I came across a review film critic, Roger Ebert, had written about the movie that captured my own emotions.  He said (para-phrasing): “Crash shows the way we all leap to conclusions based on race -- yes, all of us, of all races, and however fair-minded we may try to be -- and we pay a price for that. If there is hope in the story, it comes because as the characters crash into one another, they learn things, mostly about themselves. Almost all of them are still alive at the end, and are better people because of what has happened to them. Not happier, not calmer, not even wiser, but better.”

Not many films have the possibility of making their audiences better people. I don't expect Crash to facilitate many miracles, but I believe anyone who exposes themselves to it will likely be moved to have more sympathy for people unlike themselves. The movie is full of hurt, coldness and cruelty, but is it not without hope. The people, superficially so different, share the city and learn that they share similar fears and hopes. Until several hundred years ago, most people on earth never saw anyone who looked different than they appeared. They were not racist; as far as they knew, there was only one race. You may have to look hard to see it, but Crash is a film about progress.

Hurricane Katrina served as a recent illustration of the prevalence of racism in America today.  While we would like to believe the days of overt racism I referred to with Tim in my days at Purdue are long past, Katrina serves to remind us of the thin layer of veneer that exists in America, most especially in areas stricken with poverty.  New Orleans had been listed as the number 2 most likely catastrophe for several years.  Year
after year, administration after administration, New Orleans was overlooked.  The poverty that was exposed by Katrina was in fact longstanding.  Within view of the most resplendent hotel rooms in the business district, sat the worst part of Ward 9, New Orleans’ most impoverished section.  These people have lived in conditions worst than those in third world countries for decades.  The remarks of former first lady Barbara
Bush’s when viewing the evacuees located temporarily at the Houston Astrodome a week after the hurricane are revealing, yet common: “They’re better off here.  They won’t want to return home if they stay here long.”  This attitude is all too prevalent in our country. Fox Newscaster, Bill O’Reilly stated that most of the people stranded on the roofs crying out for help wouldn’t have been stuck there had they “stayed in school”.  While these comments are personally offensive, they are all too familiar in today’s political climate. 

As we stand, more than 5-months after the storm, New Orleans remains mostly uninhabitable.  The building contracts are going to outsiders, mostly non-native, white-owned, large corporations, contrary to President Bush’s commitment. 

I am grateful my life has been enriched by people of all ethnic backgrounds.  This would not have been possible had I not been open to developing relationships with those different than me. 

Luke 10:29-37

But wanting to justify himself, he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?” Jesus replied, “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell into the hands of robbers, who stripped him, beat him, and went away, leaving him for dead. Now by chance a priest was going down that road; and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side.  So likewise a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. 

But a Samaritan while traveling came near him; and when he saw him, he was moved with pity.  He went to him and bandaged his wounds, having poured oil and wine on them.  Then he put him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him.  The next day he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said, ‘Take care of him; and when I come back, I will repay you whatever more you spend.’ Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who dell into the hands of the robbers?”  He said, “The one who showed him mercy.” Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.”

This parable is similar to Dr. Abernathy’s words about people of good intent providing insufficient medicine to society.  It brings to mind the many people who sat helpless on their rooftops during and after Katrina, while the rest of us watched from the comfort of our living rooms, trying in vain to grasp the enormity of the devastation.  How could this be taking place in our country we asked one another at our church’s Race
Relations Forum following the storm?  We knew news crews were able to come and go freely; how was it that those people were left stranded for days, with the adjoining communities refusing entrance into their parishes?  It was more than most of us could comprehend.  The race issue continues to be one which we grapple with and that I will remain committed to eradicating to the best of my ability.




Today's Reflection:  And let us not get tired of doing what is right, for after a while we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t get discouraged and give up. ~Galatians 6:9 



No comments:

Post a Comment