Monday, January 5, 2015

Up, Up and Away

I remember the first time I heard the first time I heard the 5th Dimension’s song, "Up, Up, and Away" performed. It was by the Concordia Lutheran High School choir in Fort Wayne, Indiana when I was a sixth grader. I imagined how it would feel to fly in a balloon.


I had my chance to fly in a balloon with my neighbor, who lost his long-time partner to a heart attack a couple of months earlier. We departed in his convertible early in the morning for our sunrise flight. I was concerned about how to step into the basket with my stiff leg. The basket was turned on its side so I laid down on my side. As the balloon filled, the basket would raise to the position necessary for others to step in.

I decided the balloon ride would prepare me for a new chapter in my life, which has been slow traveling like the balloon ride. The sights were breathtaking. 

I celebrated with my neighbor his partner’s life. Then a couple asked me to renew their vows. I did

The pilot appeared concerned. There was no chase vehicle following us below. The balloon basket broke off and evergreen treetop as we descended into a housing addition with large yards and swimming pools. Wham! The basket hit the earth. The pilot along with the other passengers exited the basket. I was unable to step over. A man came from behind and lifted me out.

Each day is a series of new beginnings. How do you take the time to fly away and to see the beauty?





Today’s Reflection: "Great is his faithfulness; his mercies begin afresh each morning." –Lamentations 3:23 New Living Translation (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment