Friday, January 2, 2015

Living Stones Rock On!

A couple, who lives in my organization’s independent living, volunteers by offering a ministry to their peers with dementia. She plays hymns on the piano. Her husband turns the music pages for the residents and encourages them to sing as I lead the hymn sing. Their son the Rev. Dr. Robert S. Paul wrote the below hymn, “Living Stones.”  

As I sang the words, I watched the transition within one resident. I talked with her daughter afterwards about the “Living Stones” hymn, and she said that her mother’s faith has never wavered. When this resident could read, she read the scripture from 1 Peter 2:5: “You come to him as living stones, a spiritual house that is being built into a holy priesthood. So offer spiritual sacrifices that God accepts through Jesus Christ.” – God’s Word Translation

Her mother also loved collecting rocks. I started carry rocks in my pocket. I give her a stone from my pocket as we sing "Living Stones." She is one my many living stones...my rock star.

Sometimes a shiny stone...Sometimes a rough one… Sometimes a stone that needs a home...Sometimes buiIding a foundation where a community grows and lives. There are living stones.

Living Stones

We are people, Living stones! Set on Christ, the corner-stone.
Growing together in His, molding us, making us one…Coming together, Living stones…
Mount up Walls and Soaring Tow’rs
Be a Cathedral filled with light, A house of God’s grace and Pow’r!
Build us up, Lord, In your House of Living Stones…
Build by the Spirit in the bond of love on Christ, the Chief Corner-Stone.
This is why the name “Living Stones Ministries Rock On.”



Build a foundation. Become a rock star. Or recognize a rock star and witness their story. Rock On!

No comments:

Post a Comment